Mint, scientifically known as Mentha ,is a herb. It is well known breath and mouth freshener. There are different varieties of mint such as peppermint, spearmint, applemint etc. used for different uses. It has one of the highest antioxidant capacities of any food. Besides being used in various recpies, this fresh herb also has many health benefits.
1. Effective in seasonal allergy: Mint has one of the highest antioxidant capacities and also contains an anti-inflammatory agent called as “rosmarinic acid” which helps in relieving various seasonal allergic symptoms.
2. Respiratory health issues : The menthol content of mint is a natural decongestant that helps in reducing the mucus and phlegm and give relief in respiratory disorders like asthma and common cold . Mint leaves when added in tea, helps relieve sore throat and irritation caused by chronic coughing.
3. Stomach Issues: Mint has a soothing and calming effect and can be used to aid with digestion by increasing the bile flow, which in turn helps to ease digestion. It also helps in upset stomach. Other stomach issues such as bloating or flatulence that can cause pain and discomfort can be relieved by peppermint. Peppermint is the favorite home reedy for flatulence.
4. Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Use of peppermint is effective for people suffering with abdominal pain or symptoms associated with IBS.
5. Breastfeeding: Mint oil can be really effective in reducing cracked nipples and nipple pain that could arise during breastfeeding.
6. Skin Health: Mint oil has antiseptic and anti-puritic properties and is used as skin cleanser. It soothes skin and helps cure infections and itchiness. It can also relieve symptoms of pimples. It is also effective during insect bites like mosquitoes, honeybees, wasps etc.
7. Weight Loss: Mint stimulates the digestive enzymes that absorb nutrients from food and consume fat and turn it into energy. Adding mint to your diet can help in your effort to lose weight in a healthy way.
8. Oral Health : Mint is a natural anti-microbial agent and breath freshener. It inhibits the growth of harmful bacteria and keeps teeth and tongue clean.
9. Relieve aches and pains: Mint oil soothes aches and pains as well as nausea associated with headaches. Mint provides immediate cooling effect, causing the area to become partially numb and thus lessens the pain. One can either use pain balms with mint extracts to lessen pain or inhale the fumes of mint extract.
10. Helps relieve menstrual cramps: Mint has anti-spasmodic effect. During menstrual cramps, having a hot cup of mint tea can be really effective.