Sometimes sore throat may not require antibiotics. And overusing antibiotics can contribute to resistant bacteria! Mostly sore throats are caused by viral infections and not bacterial. Bacterial infections are responsible for small percentage of sore throats that includes whooping cough, strep throat etc. There are many natural ways that can heal the soreness and scratchiness of the throat.
1. Salt and water: Gargling with salt mixed warm water can be really effective. The salty solution helps rinse away and neutralize acids in the throat and provides relief to the irritated mucous membranes.
2. Ginger, honey and lemon water: This mixture has been really effective in sore throat. Due to mild anti-bacterial properties of honey, it soothes the throat and also coats the throat.
3. Vitamin C: Lemons are rich source of vitamin C. Few drops of lemon juice in lukewarm water act as astringent that helps in reducing the swelling of tissues during sore throat and also keep virus and bacteria at bay by creating an acidic environment.
4. Turmeric and Water: Turmeric is a powerful antioxidant and helps in strengthening the body and fights various diseases.
5. Cloves: Cloves are known for their anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. They can heal a sore throat effectively.
6. Licorice Root: Make a gargle solution by mixing licorice root with water. Licorice roots soothe the throat and diminish the coughing too.
7. Peppermint: Peppermint has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral properties because of which it helps in improving sore throat and keeps the throat calm.
8. Garlic: Garlic contains allicin that kills the bacteria that causes strep and fight the germs causing pain and irritation. Chewing garlic can help in relieving the swollen and itchy sore throat.
9. Pomegranate: Pomegranate juice act as an astringent, helping in reducing the swelling in the throat and diminishing the pain. It also helps in fighting off infection with anti-oxidants.
10. Chamomile Tea : It is a natural remedy for sore throats. It has anti-bacterial and analgesic properties (works as a natural pain-killer). It also has anti-spasmodic properties which can help you rest. Overall, it is soothing wonder herb.